Saturday, December 8, 2012

Organization, Jobs, & Line Up Procedure

 I purchased this set of drawers they day after Thanksgiving for a great deal.  I used the bigger packaging labels to write the  label for the drawers.  The perfect thing about these drawers is that they are not to deep. This depth allows to break down my sorting rather than the large drawers you see a bit of on the left of the photo.  (Those are my daily bins, art supplies and all the supplies for that day go in there.  This makes that depth ideal for that activity.) 

Drawers:
RSVP-as part of the 4k program, we are required to have 80 planned parent child hours.  This includes events planned monthly by the district as well as a separate reading night planned by the teacher, as well as seasonal activities and field trips.  I put the little rsvp slips I get in here as well as my checklist of who has turned them in for easy access.  

Grade- Though I dont do much "grading" in 4k, when I collect assignments I do write short notes on their progress or what they do and do not understand.  Once done in here, I put them in their folders to go home.  

Copy- I put the copies I need to make for the week as well as things that come up to copy in this drawer.  Drawers are removable, so I pull this drawer out and take it with me to the copy room.  It works well to bring things back in then as well.

Reading with the Stars- This is the monthly reading program I do with the students and for the parent hours.  I put the stars the decorate with the monthly reading calendars, any copies for that month's event, and any other supplies needed for the event (a list of if to large).  This way I can pull this drawer out on event night and hand out supplies.

ABC Books- Each week for the letter of the week, students color a coloring book page with an image that starts with that letter, a bubble letter decorated with something that depicts that letter (letter of the week page), and a hand print activity that depicts that letter (letter of the week page).  I then file these letters into a big file box to make an ABC book at the end of the year/alphabet.  I put them in this drawer when done when they need to be filed by student name.

Classroom Helpers- I have classroom moms and grandmas that come in pretty regularly  to help out.  They often ask what they can do to help.  I realized I was 1 wasting time when I had to stop and think of something for them and 2. not using them to their full potential.  I created this drawers so I could collect things through out the week for the next week for them to do. I then can pull the drawer out, give short directions and continue teaching.  I also put a part in my lesson plans to think of things I may need, which I then take and put in here.  

Make up Work- In 4k there is not a lot that I have the students make up that they may have missed, but I do want to make sure they all get a complete alphabet book (at least the handprints) at the end of the year.  If they are not at school I put the sheet with their name on it in here.  On a short week when we do not have a letter of the week, I pull students aside and catch up on all these handprints.  

Literacy Bags- Weekly the students take home literacy bags to work on with their parents. These bags are included in the parent/child hour we log as well.  I use this to keep the originals (there are worsheets in each bag that need to be replenished weekly) as well as the checklist of who has had what bag thus far.  

Table Time- School starts at 8:00am, but students arrive as early as 7:45 for "early drop off"  I originally had the students playing while they waited for the day to start.  The problem was clean up was taking much to long in our morning.  I came up with (it was suggested by veteran teachers) table time in which they work on an activity at the table that does not take long, but is teaching vital skills.  They turn these in and I then put them in my "grade" drawer, evaluate, and send home.  They are doing very well with the routine in the morning, and this gives me a great place to store ideas to throw out in the morning.  


I created a job list for every student in my class as suggested by Conscious Discipline.  It is available at TPT (teacherspayteachers.com)

Each student is assigned a job weekly.  This has helped greatly with "everyone being a team player"








I noticed a problem my class was having was often at line up time.  "I was there first" "I want to be first" "what is my job?" Etc.  I also couldn't remember who had certain jobs and certain jobs should be in certain places in line:  my door holder should be towards the front to hold the door for everyone rather than the back, door closer should be towards the back, etc.

My solution was to print the student's job chart a second time (in black and white to save my school on color printing) and contact paper them to the floor so that students stand on their job when in line.  Only one person has each job, the students remember their job, and I already have their place picked out in the line in a logical order.

It has helped GREATLY in line up time, classroom management, as well as classroom safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment